What Are the Best Oils for Hair Growth?
Last Updated: May 18, 2017
If you've ever tried to grow your hair out you know it is a long and laborious task. Hair takes forever to grow no matter how good your diet or what supplements you take. The reason your hair isn't growing isn't what you're eating or what you're taking it's your scalp health.
Hair is produced in follicles located in the scalp and if your scalp isn't healthy then your hair won't be either. Oils have been used for thousands of years to help with everything from lice to shine. There are several natural oils that are proven to give your scalp the boost it needs to produce healthy hair and help you grow long locks faster. Let's see what are the best oils for hair growth.
The Best 5 Oils for Hair Growth
Molivera Organics Castor Oil 16 oz
- This is a very good quality oil, you're really getting what you pay for. The key words here are “cold pressed”; this means the oil is extracted without chemicals, specifically hexane, which can dry your hair out.
- The 100% oil might be more expensive than blends but that's because you're getting only oil, not fragrances or alcohols instead. Castor Oil is high in antioxidants and fatty acids which your hair needs. It's also full of vitamin E which helps to increase the blood flow to your scalp and stimulate your hair follicles to grow.
- The money back guarantee which the company offers is also well worth spending the extra cash.
- The oil is not organic, despite the brand name. This means that there are chemicals used in it. The texture of the oil is also not as thick as some blends which means it takes more to saturate hair.
- Probably the biggest con is that castor oil is something many people are allergic to. It can produce a strong itching sensation which is unpleasant, to say the least. Castor oil also has a strong and noticeable smell, the plants are also used as pest control for this reason! The oil can also go rancid quickly.
Majesticel Best Argan Oil Serum for Hair
- Argan oil is “the” thing right now, and the reason behind this is that it is especially rich in antioxidants. This helps protect your hair and scalp from free radical damage.
- This particular oil is less harsh than castor oil, smells better, and you need a lot less to get results. The oil is supposed to be lightweight which makes it easier to put on.
- It also acts as a protective screen from sun, heat and chemical damage making this a very versatile oil.
- Majesticel also offers a money-back guarantee. The oil also has vitamins that help nourish follicles and help prevent hair shedding so your hair appears thicker and healthier.
- Argan oil is today's coconut oil. There are THOUSANDS of brands out there and most of them have only the tiniest amount of actual Argan. This product is not preservative or hexane free which means it can potentially dry hair out more.
- This is actually not a pure oil but a mixed serum containing the oil. The serum is quite greasy, you can easily add too much and end up having to struggle to shampoo it out.
InstaNatural 100% Pure Emu Oil
Emu oil is better known for skin conditions than hair but it can be used to help improve the skin at the scalp too.
The oil is heat treated to remove bacteria and contaminants but it is not organic, it is however still 100% oil.
The oil acts to nourish the skin cells surrounding the hair follicles and to repair them so that they are healthier. This helps your hair grow faster and better.
- It isn't organic, and heat treatment does not remove all contaminants so you're still getting a product that is tainted with hexane.
- The oil is also prone to causing breakouts which can end in scarring. This shouldn't be such an issue with the scalp but it can be if it gets on your face.
- The oil also has a decidedly “animal” smell to it which is rather unpleasant, especially as hair holds scent better than any other body part. The company is also not “cruelty-free”.
Leven Rose Organic 100% Pure Cold Pressed
- Jojoba oil is rich in antioxidants and is very quick to absorb into the skin. It is also fragrance-free other than the very faint natural smell which is quite pleasant.
- The oil is good quality and is 100% pure. You'll also notice that it's cold pressed so there's no hexane. The oil is also known to last longer than other oils without going rancid. Definitely it is one of the best oils for hair growth.
- The bottle quality is poor, the dropped isn't very good and you're going to need to buy your own if you don't want to waste oil. The oil is supposedly organic but the company is not certified organic and readily admits that they have no intention to get certified, something that is questionable.
- There's very little evidence to support whether jojoba oil actually promotes hair growth or simply repairs the scalp and follicles.
- This oil is also not as hydrating as argan oil or some other oils and can end up just sitting on the hair.
COCO & CO Pure Organic Virgin Coconut Oil for Hair
- Coconut oil is one of the best oils for hair growth as it has a light, pleasant smell, absorbs easily and has multiple properties like antibacterial and a high vitamin E content. It has more vitamin E than castor oil.
- The virgin oil is also much purer and less refined meaning it is more effective.
- Coconut oil is a very effective moisturizer which means it will penetrate both strands and follicles to work outside and in on hair. This is a very good quality oil and worth the difference in cost. Coconut oil is also often recognized as one of the best oils for hair growth but also for cooking as well!
- The product is not certified organic which means there's no guarantee it really is. Coconut oil can be too greasy for some people and can leave hair oily for days if you use too much. It's also quite expensive when you consider it is the same quality as much cheaper per ounce coconut oil that is in the food section.
- In fact, you can purchase Island Fresh SUPERIOR Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (https://www.amazon.com/Island-Fresh-Superior-Organic-Coconut/dp/B00Y8HZS1W ), a 54 Ounce tub, which is the same thing in a much bigger quantity and certified organic.
- So if you try this and you like it go for the bigger, cheaper tub.
Which is best oil for hair growth after all?
Coconut oil is a superior moisturizer and it doesn't have an unpleasant smell. If you've never used it before go for the COCO brand to try it out and then opt for the Island Fresh instead. Not only coconut oil is great for hair growth, but it's one of the best cooking oils as well.